Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Inspiring, Inspired.

So, I consider myself among the luckiest person to get to attend a program called Berilmu Berbakti. The 3 days-2 nights program was indeed hectic, yet I was glad that it started and ended well as planned. This is not the first time that I attend a camp which involves the orphans. The first thing to bear in mind is that, Rumah Anak-anak Yatim or the Orphanage is NOT only for those who've lost a parent or both, but some of them have the history of broken family, divorced parents, and some with stories you can never expect. C'est La Vie. All these somehow or rather were eye openers and I am thankful for what I have and who I am today. When everything seems too much for me to handle, I always question, why ME? But then, when I heard stories from those kids (they're all 11 to 17 years old) I was impressed. They managed to survive regardless of the countless problem they're facing. During one slot called 'sharing', I was touched when they shared their stories. A boy aged 15, admitted that he tried all sorts of 'bad stuffs, be it ganja, gam, or rokok. There's nothing we can actually do about it. - 3 days is not possible for you to change a person as a whole-. Some of them shared stories about their 'Rumah'. To our shock, some of the officers at the orphanage were the kind of people who are not sincere in taking care of them. A boy tells that their pengetua always say bad things to them, (yes, he admitted that they are not good-and-nice kids) but I personally feel that it is not a good thing. They need proper care and people around them should show their concern, and not to call them anak haram! Those kids, their self-esteem is very low. Most of them said that they will definitely work after they finish high school. They have no motivation, they have no reason to move on, they cannot picture themselves in 10 years time, which proves that they have no vision.

We tried our best to encourage them, and guide them to a different goal in life. All we can do now is just to hope that they'll be successful individuals in the future. Anyway, I haven't got any pictures of the camp since I forgot to bring my camera. I'll try to get the pictures from my friends and will get it posted here. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how the hell those people with obligation to take care of em can say such word???
OMG, I know and we all know that some of them might be stubborn or what but thats not the right word to use man!If they are illegitimate child, i have no problem with it...I wont blame them for their parents mistake...so should those s hole in the rumah kebajikan (or wherever). Humanity wise, we shouldnt desert them...Kesian diorang kan??dah laa yatim, terbiar, duduk menumpang kat rumah kebajikan, kene maki pulak tuh...

pardon my language but i'm so angry after reading your blog...nice...keep it up

mimie_t said...

Thank you for the comment. I'd say i totally agree with you. After all, the main purpose of having such 'rumah' is (to a certain extend) help them to feel loved and taken care of.

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr